Re: OS stuff

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:36:07 -0400, "John D. Gwinner" <gwinner@northnet.org> wrote:

*>Many modern hard drives have 'write through' or 'write delayed' buffers.
*>Admittedly, that old clunker 8088 probably doesn't, but it's been pretty
*>common for a while. (might be something you can disable)

Software drivers that support write buffering can be turned off. If
it happens in the drive itself... I'm not sure if the drive has time
from reset or power down to write out its buffers. Odds are it will,
sometimes it won't I guess. I would'nt keep a file open for hours at
a time myself.

*>> On the other hand, if the real
*>> time machine crashes, we have lost that data block anyway.  No sense

The problem is when it takes the whole file system along with it.
In my Linux installation notes, I'll at least recommend that
there be a TASS partition seperate from the "rest" of Linux. It
would not be out of hand to have a "data" partition I guess, wiser heads
will have to be scratched on this.

Herb Johnson

***** I do not want bulk email. Automated bulk mailings prohibited. ****

Herbert R. Johnson                      voice/FAX 609-771-1503 day/nite
hjohnson@pluto.njcc.com                 Ewing, NJ (near Princeton) USA

                 occasional amateur electronic astronomer
               supporter of classic computers as "Dr. S-100"
   and senior engineer at Astro Imaging Systems: old photons to new bits!