Re: New PC-IRAF Release

Glenn,

You say "I was trying to run the cosmic-ray removal routine in IRAF.."
Does this mean you got as far in your IRAF install that you ran (or
tried to run) the cosmic ray program.  It is not to clear where you
are in the process or what's working or not working at present.

Yes you are right, unless you've installed IRAF a couple times the
instructions are confusing.  After you've gone through it is simple:
You make a few directories, unpack some files and run a couple scripts...

IRAF is a self contained universe.  It has it's own concept of devices,
enviroment variables.  I comes with it's own shell, compiler, editor
and so on.  The conventions it uses seem to be a combination of features
borrowed from both VAX/VMS and UNIX. plus it's own inventions like
parameter files for each task.  So there is a bit of a learning curve.

Are you reading the file "pciraf.ps" which contains "PC-IRAF Installation
Guide"  The date is Jan 98.  It looks basically correct except that now
there are more versions of PC-IRAF.  See the README where it says:
  Platform                      IRAF Distribution

    FreeBSD 3.3                         fbsd
    Slackware Linux 4.0                 lnux
    RedHat Linux 6.1                    rhux
    SuSE Linux 6.2                      suse    (new port)
    Solaris x86 7                       ssol    (new port)

    RedHat Linux 5.2                    "rh52" version of rhux (see below)

They now cover Solaris, BSD and three Linuxes.  They say "rhux" is for
"RedHat Linux 6.1".  My advice is to take then at thier word, exactly.
and use RH 6.1.  Not 6.0 or 6.2.

I am planning to install the new IRAF on my Toshiba notebook soon.
I'll try and keep notes of what I have to do.  As I remember, the
first step is to make a new user called "iraf". then make the /iraf
directory, change the owner or /iraf to iraf then log in as iraf
and continue.  The first thing to be done after logging in as iraf is
to create the first couple levels of directory structure by hand in
/iraf.  Then unpack the files.

--
  Chris Albertson

  calbertson@logicon.com                  Voice: 626-351-0089  X127
  Logicon, Pasadena California            Fax:   626-351-0699