IRAF install notes

Glenn,

I just re-installed IRAF on my RedHat Linux 6.1 system.
I completely removed the old version with "rm -rf" so this
was a clean "from scratch install.
I noticed that one can't follow the provided instructions
verbatim.  There have been a few small changes to the IRAF
system after the instructions were written.  I kept notes
which I think are correct but please send updates and I'll
submit the corrected notes as a TN.

Next I'll install a few external IRAF packages and the STSDAS
package but the notes don't cover this.

I have the latest IRAF on CDR.  If anyone seriously wants to
install it and can't download it I can mail a copy of the CD.
I have all the PC versions (Linux, BSD, Solars) and the Sun SPARC
version as well on the CD.

+++++++++++++++ start

1) Create account for user "iraf".
   home directory is /iraf/iraf/local
   use csh as the shell

   create the iraf home directory:  mkdir -p /foobar/iraf/iraf/local
   link this to /iraf:  cd /; ln -s  /foobar/iraf/iraf/local iraf

   "foobar" is where ever you have lots of space

2) log in as iraf
   verify step #1:   cd; pwd
                    /iraf/iraf/local
3) Set environment variable:  setenv iraf /iraf/iraf/
   Put this in someplace like .cshrc so you do not have to
   re-enter it all the time.
   /etc/profiles.d/iraf.csh would be a nice place

4) Make subdirectories required by install:
   cd /iraf/
   mkdir irafbin
   mkdir extern
   mkdir extern/tables
   mkdir extern/stsdas
   mkdir irafbin/bin.redhat
   mkdir irafbin/noao.bin.redhat

   This assumes you will go and get STSDAS and install it.

5) As per section 2.2.2 do the following:
   whoami
     iraf
   cd $iraf
   cat /cdrom/v211/PCIX/as.pcix.gen/as.* | zcat | tar -xpf -

   verify that if worked:
   pwd
     /iraf/iraf
   ls -F
     ./           bin@          bin.linux@   bin.suse@  lib/    mkpkg  sys/
     ../          bin.freebsd@  bin.redhat@  dev/       local/  noao/  tags
     HS.PCIX.GEN  bin.generic/  bin.sunos@   doc/       math/   pkg/   unix/

6) As per section 2.2.3 do the following:
    cd $iraf/bin.redhat/
    cat /cdrom/v211/PCIX/ib.rhux.x86/ib.* | zcat | tar -xpf -

    cd $iraf/noao/bin.redhat/
    cat /cdrom/v211/PCIX/nb.rhux.x86/nb.* | zcat | tar -xpf -

7) As per section 2.4, run install

   Fix a bug in the install script.  This is documented and
   there is a replacement install script on the web site but
   it is easy to edit the file.  The bad line is first.  Corrected
   line follows:

   if ($mach == linux || $mach == redhat || || $mach == suse || \
   if ($mach == linux || $mach == redhat || $mach == suse || \

   First do the trail run just to see what will happen
     echo $iraf
       /iraf/iraf/
     cd $iraf/unix/hlib/
     source irafuser.csh
     ./install -n
   You will get a bunch of questions.  Hit return for defaults.
   I changed one thing:
     default root image storage directory: /iraf/IMAGES

   Become the root user and run install without the -n option.

   su
   ./install
   Answer as above.  You will see lots of messages the last few will
   read like this:

   symbolic link rpp is ok
   symbolic link xpp is ok
   symbolic link xyacc is ok
   symbolic link xc is ok
   touch hlib$utime
   make device entry /dev/imt1i for imtool
   make device entry /dev/imt1o for imtool
   make device entry /dev/imt1 for imtool
   symbolic link imtoolrc is ok
   termcap file is ok (contains xgterm entry)
   graphcap file is ok (contains xgterm, imtool entries)

8) Log in a iraf.
   verify that /usr/local/bin is in you execution search path.
   type the command "cl" and you should get the standard IRAF
   start up page and the "cl>" prompt:

    NOAO PC-IRAF Revision 2.11.3 EXPORT Tue Oct 26 21:01:12 MST 1999
    This is the EXPORT version of PC-IRAF V2.11 supporting most PC systems.

    Welcome to IRAF.  To list the available commands, type ? or ??.  To get
    detailed information about a command, type `help command'.   To  run  a

--
   --Chris Albertson             home: chrisja@jps.net
     Redondo Beach, California   work: calbertson@logicon.com