RE: No Escape

Chris and all,

OK, but I have the specific problem of doing it.  On a particular computer
and with a particular code.

We are using CFITSIO to write the headers.  Now I have to put specific
things in the headers.  It does me no good that this is done at every other
observatory in the universe.  It seems that I have to do it.  In
particular, I have to do some computations to get the pointing
approximately right so later processing stages can match the image to a
catalog.

Possibly CFITSIO will compute the RA where the telescope is pointing if I
give it local time, longitude, and zenith angle.  What say, CFITSIO
experts?  Otherwise it seems that I will have to do it.

I have a similar problem with time.  I will use my eyeball and a gps
receiver to set the Windows clock.  If one of you programmers were here,
you could get my network going and get time over the network from the
computer that is connected to the internet.  Then you could write whatever
is necessary to link to the internet and update the Windows clock so that
it is right.  But I can't do that.  I can do other things, some of them
even useful.  I could even do that kind of software, but it would take a
while to get up to speed.

Mostly I now understand what I have to do and have most of what I need to
do it.  I do seem to have to compute RA of the zenith at my location.  I
have several tools to do this now.  I do need the correct time.  I will use
the manual input of the gps number to get the Windows clock  right.  Rob
has done the rest.

Tom Droege