Re: Everett and Howell Paper

I need to reply to all of this, but my brain has been foggy the last few
days.  This happens when you get older.  I just wait until things clear up
and I can think.

OK, I can do a better job of flat fielding.  There is that flat field box
that I built that is in my cabinet.  I have not set out to use it because I
was worried that it would not be as "flat" as the night sky.  But It would
probably be flat in detail, not in the whole picture.  I.e. it would make a
flat that was good for fixing pixel to pixel variations, but not so good
for frame side to side.  What it more important?

As for polar alignment, that will never be great with TOM1 because of the
slide out platform.  TOM2 and TOM3 should be better when I get done with it.

I think the current data sets meet the 1/10 frame requirement.  Possibly
better.  I recall 150 or so pixels over 2.5 hours while taking 56 exposures.

OK, I just measured it.  For last night's run it was 80 pixels E-W and 22
pixels N-S between exposure 1 and 56.   There was 2 hours and 19 minutes
between the start of the first and the last exposure.

I could improve the E-W just by adjusting the RA drive.  Seems to me that
Michael was thinking of using the fact that there was some movement to make
flat images.  I think I quit trying to adjust it better when it got in the
pixel per frame range.  It looks like it is 80 pixels in 8400 seconds.  So
it drifts a pixel during the exposure.  I guess I can make it better.

Tom Droege