Re: Rush to publish

I agree with some, but not all of the "rush to publish" comments
below.  Some of us are in this for the excitement of the hunt for big
game.  No matter that no one else is going to shoot that Lion.  We are in
it for the adrenalin rush.  Further, if some of us (like me) don't go after
it as if it were a crisis, it will soon fall to the bottom of the stack and
never get completed.  So I am all for going flat out to complete the
job.  It does not have to be the best possible job, just good work.  The
best possible work sometimes never gets published since it never gets
finished.

I too have been on big papers.  Five hundred authors.  It is not any
fun.  Not only do you not know the content of the paper, but you know only
a small fraction of the authors.  Sigh!  That is why I promote individual
effort here.  Get the joy of doing your thing.  I see no reason to take on
a co-author just because he is an authority on some type of object.  Study
and make your best analysis.  Then label it carefully with your reasons for
the classification and label it "possible" if you are not certain.  Then
the experts gets to write his own paper with his reason for a classification.
I know such a comment will rub some the wrong way.  Remember, I am an
adventurer.  We are sometimes a little rough.

So I say do some good work, display the proposed paper here, then when the
constructive comments die out and you are left with nothing but "more data
would make it a little more certain" publish the darn thing.  It is a good
thing the star is setting, or you could "little more data" it until you
lost interest in the process.

I will do the best I can to follow my own advice.  Since the pipeline
started working for me I have been going top speed to get an "engineering
run" paper together.  I figure it will take several
months.  Hmmm!  September 15 th.  There!  I have set a goal.

Tom Droege