Re: GSC 00279 00321

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:50:57 -0500, Michael Koppelman wrote:

>There's something I don't understand about this. Are you saying I have just
>gotten unlucky and that they thing is at near a constant magnitude most of
>the time and just dips down every one or two days?

There may be some slight variation out of eclipse at the few percent
level, but yes, it's probably a detached binary where both stars are
small compared to their separation.

>Every piece of data we have has the thing changing brightness constantly
>showing a dimmest-to-brightest time of about 1.5 hours. This is what makes
>me lean on a ~3 hour period. It is certainly possible that you are right but
>the hump at the beginning of my second day of observations looked to me like
>the end of a rise to maximum and not just flicker near the maximum.

Spots are not unusual in late-type systems like this which could cause
out of eclipse variations to be larger. Forecast for tonight is clear,
so I'll try to get some V data on it with the 24". Where are you
located?

Dirk