Re: GSC 00279 00321 paper

Some comments on Michael K.'s comments.
  Please don't use the TASS coordinates.  TASS is *not* an
astrometric survey, and as far as I am concerned, the astrometry
can be good, or can be bad, depending on what systematics exist.
You can do a search at VizieR:
http://adc.gsfc.nasa.gov/viz-bin/VizieR-2
to find coordinates and cross references.  For example,
TASS: J115751.5  +062705.8
GSC 1.1 00279-00321:     11 57 51.33  +06 27 04.8
GSC 1.2 00279-00321:     11 57 51.31  +06 27 05.0
GSC 2.2 N200012033:      11 57 51.278 +06 27 04.53
USNO-A2.0 0900-07042601: 11 57 51.346 +06 27 05.44
Tycho2: 00279-00321-1:   11 57 51.278 +06 27 04.70

Of these, The Tycho2 coordinates are the ones I'd choose.
Notice that they differ from the TASS coordinates by about an
arcsec, which is why you shouldn't use TASS, nor believe that
the nearest tenth-arcsec is the correct error.

I don't know why the AAVSO has not sent the abstracts to
the second half of Volume 29 to ADS; I've put the text of my
paper on
ftp://ftp.nofs.navy.mil/pub/outgoing/aah/temp/waltham.txt
so that you can see what is included.

>5. Type. The period seemed too short to be an eclipser, except for perhaps
>a EW. Arne and Dirk are the experts, so I would certainly defer to their
>judgment. I will wait to hear more before I format it for submission to
>the IBVS.
  There are eclipsers and then there are eclipsers.  For example,
many CVs have periods in the 2-4hr range, the same as your star.
Granted, the physical parameters sound different, but the point is
that you cannot assume a short period eliminates an eclipsing binary.

>6. The ASCII format seems like the way to go vs. TeX.
  It depends on whether you want this to be a learning experience or not.
TeX is the default format for all journals; you should learn it sometime.
Copying and modifying an existing IBVS TeX file is simple.

>It is not likely
>I will be able to gather more data, although Aaron at the AAVSO was going
>to check some Harvard plates maybe. I'm not that patient so I'm thinking I
>will send this off within the next few weeks pending more input from y'all.
  You need to learn patience!  Who is going to 'scoop' you?  For example,
getting the Harvard plate information will pin down the period, allow
the determination of any period change, etc.  Again, as I have said many
times, good science requires some groundwork.  Take the time on this
first publication to get things right; then you can use it as a template
for future publications.  Yes, it is hard, especially when you are a beginner.

As James Bedient mentioned, giving an AAVSO paper is an attractive alternative;
you still get it into a refereed journal.  Not everything has to go through
IBVS.
Arne