Re: GSC 00279 00321 paper

Thank you sir.

My struggle with trying to classify the type of variable is rooted in the
fact that I don't have a real methodology for it. I have "The Data Book of
Astronomy" and "Light Curves of Variable Stars" as my main references on
the subject. "Light Curves" is a bit frustrating because it doesn't really
summarize. You have to page through page by page to find out the periods,
amplitudes and spectral types of each type of star. The "Data Book" has a
nice table but for some reason I can't figure, doesn't list all of the
above criteria for each star type. It is also not entirely in synch with
"Light Curves". The IBVS papers are in many cases way over my head, but
just looking through light curves and periods is of great assistance.

Period analysis or binary modeling is something I have no experience with.
  I was assuming with short period stuff you could just take a few nights
of data and have it. The devil is in the daylight hours where you can get
no data! I suppose I could post to VSNet and see if some kind Japanese
folks could take some data. It sure doesn't help that the star I'm working
on is past the meridian after twilight. My next star will be one where I
can take 4 or 5 hours of data at a time.

In regards to the paper, it will be published one way or the other. If
this turns out to be some run-of-the-mill star, I still believe it is
important for the astronomical community to be aware of the star,
regardless of how that occurs. If nothing else I'll email the GCVS guys.
Many of the books I've read talk about the number of various stars known.
We must get a complete understanding of these populations. Every once in a
while we're gonna pull up something cool. Some day every damn star within
reach of the amateur will be known. These are "golden" times by comparison.

It feels odd (but I'm used to it!) to post so much to lists where I know I
am far from an expert. I've bothered the AAVSO list a lot, too, in my
travels. At the same time I know for every question I ask, there are
dozens of lurkers interested in the answers, too. We are truly lucky to
have guys like Arne and Dirk (and many others I'm less familiar with)
working on these amateur projects with us. What a gold mine of information!

I'm going on and on here but I want to conclude with my pet peeve.
Astronomy is a science. Most amateur astronomers are really sight seers
and not scientists. This is a pity. Most AAVSO stars are very undersampled.
  This stuff is fun, and it matters, but most of all, you can learn so very,
  very much. Every day I learn tons of cool stuff. I want to understand
this universe and these baby steps may, in the end, be the most rewarding
of them all.

Thank you for the link to the astro programs. That looks like some very
useful stuff.

Cheers,
Michael Koppelman