Re: NSV stars in DS23

--- aah@nofs.navy.mil wrote:
> One thing that people should realize (I know it is
> obvious, but
> perhaps not to novice variable star researchers) is
> that the
> NSV etc. lists are *suspected* variables.  In many,
> many cases,
> the star is later found to be constant.
> So be careful what you do with such matches.  Just
> as for the GCVS,
> many of these have poor coordinates, and you have to
> match magnitudes
> and colors as well.  Unlike GCVS, you don't have
> known variability
> and period to key in on.
> Arne

I completely agree.  The lists I gave are working
lists of possible identifications.  Ideally
identification charts (if they exist) of the stars
should be compared with the TASS field, or at least
the precision of the positions in the original paper
should be checked, even for the zero distance cases.

I checked the AAVSO chart of WX CMi.  The position
given in the latest electronic version of the GCVS
agrees with TASS star 58058 (V=11.23 on DS23), so that
WX CMi appeared to be near maximum at the time the
AAVSO predicted a minimum.  Comparing the chart, it
appears that the GCVS position (and that of TASS star
58058) corresponds to the comparison star 110 on the
AAVSO chart.  The GCVS position is therefore 2.5' off
the real one.  So part of the mystery is solved.
Surprisingly, my printed edition of the GCVS from 1985
does give the correct position (as does e.g. Guide7).
Some other comparison stars on the AAVSO chart:
102 = TASS 57416 10.22V
94 = TASS 57858 9.37V
92 = TASS 58262 9.45V
85 = TASS 58283 8.97V

I also found a recent eclipse timing of VX Mon in IBVS
5287.  With the given O-C, there was no eclipse at the
time of the TASS observations.
This leaves still the case of RY CMi to be solved.

Patrick