Re: Wallmart

I think this misses the point. Why buy a system with Lindows if you want
Linux? You can buy the same computers on the Wal*Mart site without any
operating system.

The real question in my mind is whether some group can take Linux and
kludge it up so the great unwashed masses can't tell the difference between
Lindows and Windows. OK this would not (to me) seem too hard to do. It is a
question of how well they have done it. I think you can only tell this by
trying to run the system and seeing how it feels.

Nothing would improve Microsoft more than to lose 10% or so of their marked
to an operating system that the general public cannot tell from Windows.
Considering what the general public uses Windows for, this should not bee
too hard. Then the fun would start.

Note that it would not shock me to discover that Lindows was owned by
Microsoft. The founder of Avis had a colorful expression for this in his
book, but companies do it all the time.

Tom Droege