Re: exotic catalogues: searches / cross checks

John and all,

On the distribution disk is a program called analyze_all.pl  It may do what
you want.  It takes a sorted cal file and produces a star list with the
mean position, the mean of the mag values, and the number of observations
among other things.  To use it you need a sorted .cal file.  It does not
work on the collected.big, so you have to collect together the .cal file

make 1 big file:
cat *.cal > cal.big

Sort it:
sort -n +1 cal.big > sorted.big

Now use analyze on it:

perl analyze_all.pl < sorted.big > all.big

Does it on my machine.  You can read the comments in analyze_all.pl to see
what the output format is before you go to the trouble.

There is also analyze_stars.pl on the disk that does what analyze_all.pl
does but also takes some cuts at it as it goes by to just output stars with
big standard deviation of the mag measurements, and sets a minimum for the
number of measurements that you can change.

Tom Droege