Re: The reddest stars

Good, someone took me up on my suggestion to look for
the reddest stars.  Now do the other half (the bluest
stars).  They are equally interesting since most CV and
Be stars are blue.
  Note that the (V-Ic) color shown for the red stars is likely to be
considerably in error; transformations break down when you
extrapolate.  Unfortunately, there are few
red stars in Landolt's lists, so you have to worry not
only about extrapolation but also nonlinearities in
the transform.
  That doesn't negate the selection of 'very red' stars,
just prevents you from being very accurate about it
at this stage in the reduction.  You should match against
IRAS since any of these stars are likely to be in the
point source catalog.
Arne