Re: positions and other pipeline matters

As L'il Abner might say "Given a collected.big file and a UCAC catalog, any
fool could write a program that matched them up and produced UCAC position
collected.big file, I could write it."

Seems to me that there is nothing to stop this from being done right
now.  I think Arne will provide a catalog to someone that wants to do
it.  Why not do this as a post processing step to Michael's pipeline?  Does
someone want to take this on?

I read Michael below as saying the pipeline is not going to change
much.  He might change the format - but I think this is not a very big
problem.  One just adds columns of stuff.

The data base, as I see it, is a separate problem.  Given a big list of
measurements that are of high quality and which contain interesting data,
someone will solve the data base problem.  It is not such a large problem
by today's standards that it will not be able to live in some standard place.

It is my mind to get on with it.  Keep taking measurements and reducing
them with the present pipeline.  We are now talking about small
improvements.  A few percent here, a few percent there.  Desirable, but not
essential to the project.

I plan to do just that.  Work on collecting data and processing it through
the pipeline.  Get an engineering paper out late this year after I have
completed +7 N and then go on to other areas.  Get a big scan going so that
I get each area of the sky every few days.  Get some areas with short
period variable scans.

Tom Droege