Batavia IL, Status Report for April 2003

Last month we collected about 110 CD's of data.  There is no meaningful
count since much of the data is test data for TOM2 and TOM3.  We are close
to having all three systems lined up and taking good data.

This was the month of flocked paper and "hanging chad".  The flocked paper
does a great job of reducing internal reflections - when it stays in
place.  This month there were many mounts and dismounts of lenses as we
learned to make the flocked paper stick where it is needed.

The "final" pipeline is now in place and I have started to process the old
data through it.  I have stated with the -6 to +18 degree data from TOM1
starting in November of 2002.  This data is most likely to contain new and
interesting stars for those waiting for new candidates for observation.  We
should complete this set mid May.  Then we will go back and process all the
data taken by TOM1 at +8 or so.

I am running TOM1, TOM2, and TOM3 every clear night.  For newcomers (we get
a few every month) TOM1 ... consists of a dual 400mm f/4 telescope system
which takes data with simultaneous V and I cameras using 2048 x 2048 pixel
CCDs.  There are still a few problems with TOM3.  It apparently has a bad
memory refresh circuit.  I will have to set up the test stand and debug
more memory cards.  Dan cleaned off a piece of the bench and we are setting
up the test stand.

I ordered switch boxes so that I can have more computers and fewer monitors
in my office. We are trying to get a remote camera set up to watch the dome
when it is open.  Nothing is easy.

We continue to work on Mark V drawings as a fill in project.

Tom Droege