Re: Flashers

George,

In all cases that I am considering both the V and I CCDs see a simultaneous
increase in brightness.  It is not always necessarily the same increase in
each channel.  We only measure stars which have detections at the same
location in the sky within 7 arc seconds made simultaneously with two
cameras.  Same location in the sky does not mean same CCD pixel
coordinate.  This rules out some kinds of electronic problems.

There are 4 million pixels.  There are of order 20 cosmic ray hits on each
of the two CCDs during a typical exposure.  The probability of a
simultaneous hit in the same star on the two chips is pretty low.  I give
it 2 x 10E-11 but I have probably computed it wrong.  This exceeds by a lot
the number of measurements in my catalog.

I tried to make this computation before on a different project and left out
a factorial in the numerator.  Still, the probability is quite low, though
I suspect not as low as above.

Tom Droege