Re: A Wile Speculation

  (from a Wile E. Coyote?)

> Let us suppose that there is something out there going "Flash" on the time
> scale of gamma ray bursts.  That is several milliseconds to several seconds.
>
> Who would see these flashers?
>
> Sloan immediately comes to mind.  But they are drift scanning.  They do not
> make simultaneous measurements in multiple filters.  Someone here may know,
> but there must me a number of seconds between their different filter
> measurements.

  It takes 55 seconds for a star to drift across a single CCD.
There is then an interval of roughly 10 seconds during which the
star moves between chips, and is not measured.  Finally, the star
reaches the next chip in the column, and again drifts across
it for another 55 seconds.

  The important thing to note about the SDSS, however, is that
it observes most of the sky only once, small fractions twice, and
even smaller fractions three or more times.  It is very unlikely
that the SDSS dataset would suffice to catch many of these
hypothetical flashers, since it would not be possible to define
a "normal" brightness with much confidence.

                                      Michael Richmond