Re: Another way to look at proprietary periods

Cool, I was hoping for an education on this topic!

I think you make great points that most likely shoot mine to hell. The
part that seemed "not right" to me is twofold:

1. If the instrument is public, why isn't the data public?
2. Are we discouraging additional science that can be done with the
data while it is kept private by the PI?

To use your example, I could take the data and look for variable stars
in the field. Maybe I find something interesting that the original
astronomer had no intention of looking for. Instead of waiting a year,
we can start studying it now, at no harm to the astronomer studying the
supernova.

This would require scruples, and I think most amateurs think that
science is more "pure" than the commercial world we are immersed in.
Maybe not?

I'm sure I'd think different if it was *my* project the HST was pointed
at... ;)

Michael Koppelman